Naturalistic etching of the Khajuraho Group of Monuments. The Khajuraho Group of Monuments is a group of Hindu temples and Jain temples in Chhatarpur district, Madhya Pradesh, India, about 175 to southeast of Jhansi. They are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The temples are famous for their nagara-style architectural symbolism and their erotic sculptures. Most Khajuraho temples were built between 950 AD and 1050 AD by the Chandela dynasty. Historical records note that the Khajuraho temple site had 85 temples by the 12th century, spread over 20 square kilometers. Of these, only about 25 temples have survived, spread over six square kilometers. Of the surviving temples, the Kandariya Mahadeva Temple is decorated with a profusion of sculptures with intricate details, symbolism and expressiveness of ancient Indian art. The Khajuraho group of temples were built together but were dedicated to two religions, Hinduism and Jainism, suggesting a tradition of acceptance and respect for diverse religious views among Hindus and Jains in the region.
Schmeisser was born in Stolp, Pomerania, Germany (modern Słupsk, Poland); he studied at the Hamburg Fine Art Academy, Germany during 1962–67 and also in Kyoto (Kyoto Fine Art Academy) during 1969-72. During his studies in Hamburg he studied printmaking under Paul Wunderlich. In the 1960s and 1970s, he was also involved in archeological excavations in Israel and Greece as a draughtsman/artist. In the years 1978–97 he worked at the Canberra School of Art, appointed Founding Head of the Department of Printmaking. Schmeisser travelled extensively through Europe, Asia and Australia. He was married to the artist Keiko Amenomori Schmeisser. He died in 2012 in Canberra, Australia.
Dimensions With Frame
H 24 in. x W 19.5 in. x D .75 in.
Dimensions Without Frame
H 23 in. x W 18.5 in.